Friday, July 24, 2009

Last Day of Shad –The Saddest Day Ever!


When I first received my letter of acceptance into the Shad program months ago, I said to myself, “this is going to be an interesting summer!” Well, it turned out that this statement was too modest. This summer was the most exhilarating, stressful, funny, knowledge filled experience I have ever had.

The last day of Shad started off with the Shad Lakehead Dance. Organized by the dance committee, the 4-hour dance was a huge success! Dancing to fast songs was the best ways to keep the tears from coming. Even though popcorn wasn’t the best food choice for a dance, it turned out to be pretty decent after all. After holding back on the tears for too long, the girls slowly started to shed tears when the last song came on.

Soon after the dance was over, we received our month books and everyone took out their pen and started to sign each other’s books. With 65 people pouring their memories onto the page of the month book, the feeling of the end was starting to form. The rain started to pound on the windows and the saddened atmosphere became even thicker. The weather was a mirror of our feelings. As the first Shad left for her plane, it struck me that Shad Valley was now over! Shad ceases to exist if all Shads aren’t present.

I realized that time had flown by very fast and that we had become a close family. In a small amount of time, we had come to a point where everyone had some everlasting memory with one another. As daylight came and the first batch of people left for the airport, all Shads wept with tears. After landing in Toronto, everyone parted ways and as I took the last glance at my friends I realized I had made friendships that I will keep forever!

In a short month, Shad had taught me more than I could have ever learned in a school year. Time management was a huge part of my learning at Shad. Everything is possible if you believe you can do it and if you look at things in an optimistic way than life becomes a lot more beautiful. For all Shad Valley Lakehead 2009 participants, I will miss you all very much! All the places in Canada are now linked with memories of people in my Shad experience!

Neha Singh
Shad Valley Lakehead University
Hometown: Markham, Ontario