Friday, July 24, 2009

How can one describe in words the memories and the friendships created among 46 friends at Shad Valley? How can we fully express our thanks to all those who put in so much work to make this experience happen?

“We take the best, and make them cry.” – Dr. Leonard Lye, Program Director at Shad Valley Memorial University.

And there we were: a group of people so much more than friends, people who had shared unforgettable experiences, long lasting laughs, seemingly impossible challenges, and finally, seated in a secret location, sharing never-ending tears, with the words of Dr. Lye echoing in our heads. I looked around me at each one of the sobbing people I had gotten to know so well and wished that I could spend every last moment before my departure from Memorial University with these people.

And I did.

Signing MUNth books, sharing last laughs, last tears, last thanks, and all the fantastic, hilarious memories that we now shared as a group, as a family. Who in the room wanted this experience to end? Nobody. We stayed together until the unwanted sun rose, much too quickly, in the Newfoundland sky.

I was one of the first to leave Memorial, and as I said my final goodbye’s and the taxi pulled out of the driveway, letting me catch a final glimpse of some of the friends, smiling with wet eyes, waving goodbye, I realized that the friends I had made at Shad would last me my whole life and that I, along with everyone else who enjoyed the Shad experience, would be able to look back upon the experiences for comfort when times get tough.

To me, Shad Valley was so much more than any words can describe. When I get home, people will ask me if I ‘liked it’, if I ‘made new friends’, if the ‘people were nice’, and I will be faced with the impossible task of giving to them a snapshot of the fullest 4 weeks of my life. I know that I can’t do the Shad experience justice for all that I learned and all the amazing memories I’ve had, but if you’re reading this debating whether Shad will be right for you or your child, know that no matter what kind of person goes to Shad it will turn out to be one of the best summer experiences imaginable.

What truly made my Shad experience so special was the people: not only the unique students who attend, but the teachers who put in so much work to make Shad the incredible and rich learning experience that it was for us. Each of us is hugely grateful to these teachers for creating the past 4 unforgettable weeks.

Matthew Walker
Shad Valley Memorial University "MUN"
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario