Wednesday, July 22, 2009

This morning was a refreshing one, as all Shads woke up with satisfaction at the successful house project presentations the night before. After all the learning, creativity, and a little bit of frustration, we had finally completed our house projects.

I woke up at 6:30am for morning recreation. Strangely, I'm not nearly as groggy waking up this early as I would be back home. I am unsure of whether it's because I'm too curious as to the day's events to be tired, or because I've grown accustomed to the schedule. Most likely, a combination of both.

We then received an honorary breakfast from MUN (I won't waste precious words on describing how delicious the food was), in which we learned useful information on programs offered at MUN, and it's many different campuses.

Perhaps the pinnacle of the day was our trip downtown in the afternoon, stretching into the evening. 48 Shads, let loose on downtown St. John's was bound to result in a great time, and it didn't disappoint. From the Newfoundland souvenir shops, to the genuine (and somewhat exotic) Newfoundland food, it was an experience that I will never forget.

But what truly defines my Shad experience, is not necessarily the particular events, but moreso the people I shared them with. Everyone here is unforgettable, and all played an integral role in making my time at Shad one of the best experiences of my life. I can safely say that Shad changed my life in so many ways, and that I would not be the same person without it.

Grant Robson
Shad Valley Memorial University
Hometown: Guelph, Ontario