Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday June 28, 2009

The first day of Shad. Amazing. Energetic. Inspiring.

Arriving early I spent the evening in Hedden Hall all by myself wondering what awesome experiences where waiting for me in the next month of my life.

The scene when I emerged in the morning was my first taste of the crazy atmosphere that will continue on for the rest of the month. Music was playing, PA's were dashing around and the welcome sign was up. I was blown away by how most of the staff knew about me, having taken the time to carefully read my application. I knew I was in for a life changing experience with people who would encourage, push, teach and bond with me.

As registration began I met the flood of shads entering the building. It was amazing making such instant connections with people from not only all over Canada but England and Saudi Arabia as well!

We had a introductory banquet with an element that has never occurred before. The Acadia 1999 Shads were having their reunion and joined us for dinner. Giving us the chance to connect and learn about how Shad affected them and what they have done since. Most importantly it showed me in the most amazing way the connections that formed at Shad and how they will never disappear. I can't wait for tomorrow, the day after and every single day, second and moment that I have left in Shad!!!

Andrea Abbott
Shad Valley McMaster University
Hometown: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory